Marco Fiore, MD (Milan, 1975) is in charge as Attending Surgeon at Sarcoma Service of Fondazione IRCCS Istituto Nazionale Tumori (INT), Milan – Italy, with full time commitment for Soft Tissue Sarcomas, GISTs and Rare Tumors surgery.
Since 2018 he is appointed for Surgery of Retroperitoneal Sarcoma at INT.
He serves as Director of ESSO European School of Soft Tissue Sarcoma Surgery.
He coordinates the CME accreditated educational yearly event ReSurge, Retroperitoneal Surgery Course at INT.
Chair of the Sarcoma Oncoteam of SICO Italian Society of Surgical Oncology (2015-2019)
Member of International Committee of the Society of Surgical Oncology (2017-2020)
Member of Education and Training Committe of the European Society of Surgical Oncology (2018-2020)
Member of EORTC Soft Tissue and Bone Sarcoma Group
Editorial Advisory Board of European Journal of Surgical Oncology (EJSO)
2016 International Career Development Award by SSO and ESSO
2007 Fondazione I.R.C.C.S. Istituto Nazionale dei Tumori Young Investigator’s Award Oncologic Research
2004 Terry Fox Price Award Oncologic Research
Among recent scientific accomplishments, dr. Fiore co-authored the following papers:
– Adequate local control in high risk soft tissue sarcoma of the extremity treated with surgery alone at a reference centre: should radiotherapy still be a standard? Ann Surg Oncol. 2018 Feb 22. doi: 10.1245/s10434-018-6393-x. [Epub ahead of print]
-Surgical morbidity in retroperitoneal sarcoma resection. J Surg Oncol. 2018 Jan;117(1):56-61
-Retroperitoneal Sarcoma Involving the Vena Cava. In D Azoulay, C Lim, C Salloum (eds.), Surgery of the Inferior Vena Cava, Springer International Publishing Switzerland 2017
– Desmoid-Type Fibromatosis Evolving Treatment Standards. Surg Oncol Clin N Am 2016; 25: 803–826
– Desmoid-Type Fibromatosis and Pregnancy. A Multi-institutional Analysis of Recurrence and Obstetric Risk. Ann Surg, 2014; 259(5):973-8
– Hormonal manipulation with toremifene in sporadic desmoid-type fibromatosis. Eur J Cancer, 2015(51): 2800-28
– Distinguishing Between Well-Differentiated and Dedifferentiated Retroperitoneal Liposarcomas in the Preoperative Setting: A Work in Progress in the Era of Precision Medicine. Ann Surg Oncol. 2015 Apr;22(4):1055-6
– Correlation between radiological assessment and histopathological diagnosis in retroperitoneal tumors: analysis of 291 consecutive patients at a tertiary reference sarcoma center. Eur J Surg Oncol 40 (2014), 1662-1670
– Long-term morbidity after multivisceral resection for retroperitoneal sarcoma. British Journal of Surgery, 2015; 102(9): 1079-87
– Surgical technique, morbidity, and outcome of primary retroperitoneal sarcoma involving inferiore vena cava. Ann Surg Oncol 2012 Feb; 19(2):511-8. Epub 2011 Jul 27.
– Desmoid-type fibromatosis: a front-line conservative approach to select patients for surgical treatment. Ann Surg Oncol, 2009; 16(9):2587-2593
– Preoperative imatinib mesylate for unresectable or locally advanced primary gastrointestinal stromal tumors (GIST). EJSO, 2009; 35: 739-745